Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Walking Tour










Today Evie has class from from 9-10:30 am, 1-2:30 pm and 5:30-8:30 pm. I went to class with her this morning. It’s a class on Women in Spain. Two groups made presentations, one about domestic violence and the other about stereotypes of women. Everything was in Spanish so I couldn’t understand. Glad I got to see the building the school is in and meet the other students. From there I took the metro to Plaza Mayor where I joined a 3-hr. walking tour. Our tour guide was a nice Israeli young man now living in Madrid. Even though we toured many of the sites I had already seen, it was great learning about the history. It really helped me put it all together and get my bearings. I enjoyed seeing the Teatro Real in the daylight and the Bear and the Tree statue, which is the symbol of Madrid. Also liked going back to Museo de Jamon and seeing all the hanging hams. On the way back to the hotel I took a photo of an almond tree blossom. Reminded me of cherry blossoms. The weather today is really raw, cold and cloudy. I met Evie and Fiona for lunch at Whitby, a restaurant right in our Santa Barbara neighborhood. Evie went back to class and I took it easy at the hotel. Tonight I was invited to dinner at Evie’s host family’s house. Isabel, Elsa, Fiona, Evie and I had a delicious home-cooked meal and lovely dinner conversation. Afterwards Evie and I stopped by a jazz bar right next to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment