Sunday, March 25, 2012

Funicular to Mount Igueldo







We took a long walk on La Concha beach early this morning. The beach has gold, soft fine sand and is spectacular. We ate breakfast at an outdoor cafĂ© along the promenade overlooking the water. Then we walked to the western edge of the bay and rode a rumbling funicular to the summit of Mount Igueldo. The tower at the top claims to be “the best view in the world.” It is indeed very grand!! There’s also an old amusement park, where rickety rides and classic carnival games are so retro that they transcend tackiness and are fun for young and old alike. We ate lunch at a restaurant along the promenade. The day was 70 degrees, sunny and gorgeous. We took a 4:40 pm train back to Madrid. We made the mistake of not purchasing our ticket ahead so we had to go first class part of the way. Not terrible, just more expensive. We learned our lesson! The train arrives at 10 pm in Madrid and I’m spending the night with Evie at her apartment. Tomorrow morning I head back home.

I’ve had a fantastic trip full of adventure and fun. The best part was being with Evie!!! She planned a very complete and well thought out itinerary for us in Madrid. It was fantastic to this city that she has come to love so much through her eyes. Highlights included having Evie row me around the lake in Parque Retiro, touring the Prado, having wine at the Mercado San Miguel, seeing the Palaceo Rial, having a massage at Hammam Arab Bathhouse, and seeing Elsa’s pajama party. I was so impressed with Evie’s command of the Spanish language. She communicates beautifully and guided us around with ease. I couldn’t have gotten around without her because I’m terrible with foreign languages.

I’m glad we had the opportunity to explore San Sebastian too. It was so relaxing and I loved listening to the waves at night as we fell asleep. It’s scallop-shaped bay, gold sand, turquoise water, wind-swept trees and seaside promenade were all breathe-taking I loved our adventurous days in Getaria and hiking the Camino trail. Evie’s a wonderful and fun traveling companion. I will remember our time together forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment