Sunday, January 29, 2012

Shower cap and fanny pack come in handy.........








This morning we went to the Cemetery Colon named for Christopher Columbus. Today was a day to commemorate Amelia “La Milagrosa,” the Miraculous Woman. Amelia Goyre de Adot died in 1903 at age 23 during childbirth. She was buried with her dead child at her feet. The legend says that when the grave was opened some years later the child was nestled in his mother’s arms. Cubans come to the grave three times a year to ask “La Milagrosa” to make their wishes come true. People filed around the grave. They brought flowers, said prayers, touched the statue, and tapped the gravestone with the bronze knocker. It was a very emotional scene. Notice the policeman in the background photographing the crowd. It began raining lightly. I was glad to have a shower cap to protect my camera. Thanks Uncle Sandy for the tip. It came in handy. So did my fanny pack. As I was climbing over a wrought iron fence I caught my pants and ripped a huge hole on the seat of my pants. I quickly moved my fanny pack from front to back to cover the rip.



In the early afternoon I had my one-to-one critique with Eddie to review some of my images of Cuba. Afterwards I went with Eduardo and a couple of others to further explore Cuban homes. We were invited into an older woman’s home. She was lying in her bed and asked if we had any medicine. Apparently it is hard to get basic medicine like Advil, aspirin, etc. We saw a photo of her lying in the same bed when she was a young woman. The kitchen was in the corner of the room. It was a very eerie scene. Lisa and I had a very good dinner at El Templete on the waterfront in Habana Vieja. It’s well known for seafood. Then we went back to the hotel for a Photo Salon. The Cuban photographers from Foteca had their prints for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment